When I was young, my Mom used to sit me down and make me write thank you notes for everything (I hated it) - birthday gifts, first communion gifts, graduation gifts, you know the drill. She taught me the proper form on how to write the note:
1) Always address the person and use their name
2) Thank them for the gift and mention what the actual item was
3) Let the giver know how much you like, have used, or WILL use the gift
4) Always call money - THE GIFT OF MONEY - and never, Good Lord, NEVER, mention the amount (that's just tacky)
5) End the card with "Thanks again" to be sure that the giver knows how much you appreciate your gift
6) Mail it in a timely manner (1-2 weeks)
Who knew my Mom was Martha Stewart? Thank you Mom for teaching me such an invaluable gift of writing skills and also etiquette. I try my best to get thank you notes and cards out and absolutely LOVE receiving them. For our engagement, I was just so incredibly touched by how many people sent me a card in the actual mail - not just email (although I love emails!) and I really enjoy opening them and displaying them. Side note - letter openers are incredible.
Do you send letters/cards/notes? Love getting them?